Ozone has the following five properties that account for why it works so well, not only for macular degeneration, but also as well for most other chronic age related conditions.
- Ozone is a potent regulator of the immune system. This means that when the immune system is overactive as in auto-immune disease, ozone will calm it down. Conversely, when the immune system is underactive as in cancer, AIDS, and chronic infections, ozone will stimulate it. This unique ability of ozone stems from its action on the membranes of white blood cells that causes them to produce immune related messenger molecules called cytokines. Examples of cytokines are gamma interferon, interleukin-2, colony stimulating factor, and TNF-alpha just to name a few.
- Ozone stimulates increased uptake of oxygen by stimulating the enzyme diphosphoglycerate (DPG). DPG enables the release of oxygen from the hemoglobin molecule so that it can be taken up into the cell. In the absence of an adequate amount of DPG, our cells become starved for oxygen. This is a common problem in diabetics.
- Ozone improves circulation by enhancing the flow characteristics of blood as a liquid. This effect enables more of the oxygen carrying hemoglobin to reach the capillaries where ultimately the cells will receive more of the oxygen they require. Many patients with chronic inflammatory conditions have impaired circulation.
- Ozone increases antioxidant protection more than any other therapy including vitamin C. Most people with chronic disease have deficient antioxidant defenses
- Ozone is a powerful mitochondrial stimulant. The fundamental underlying cause behind ALL degenerative disease from diabetes to heart disease to cancer is decreased mitochondrial energy production. Ozone often corrects this problem.